Dance, as an academic discipline, encompasses the elements of dance as a performing art, as well as the science of dance as movement. The mission of the dance program is to promote dance as a medium of communication and expression uniquely effective in the conveyance of meaning, emotion and cultural values. The mission is also to train dancers in sound dance techniques so their bodies are effective instruments for this artistic expression. The techniques of the program increases students' level of physical fitness, coordination, and grace through dance training, and presents dance as a rigorous and specialized area of the performing arts, demanding a high level of physical preparation as well as a thorough understanding of aesthetics.
The Dance Misson includes the following objectives:
1. Creating an environment in which the general student population may experience dance as a means to enhance physical fitness and wellness, understand and appreciate other cultures and periods of history, interact cooperatively with men and women of various ages and cultural/ethic backgrounds, and learn aesthetics.
2. Preparing dance students to transfer as dance majors to public state and private colleges and universities.
3. Providing preparation for careers in dance including the areas of choreography, dance performance and dance instruction.
4. Maintaining diversity of instruction and course offerings.
Dance Program Outcomes
Upon successful completion of a season with the SRJC dance department, the student will be able to:
1. Majors will develop proficiency in modern, jazz, and ballet dance forms, enabling them to pursue higher level dance degrees.
2. Majors will have practical experience in the performance and production aspects of dance.
3. Certificate dancers will have the skills and techniques to secure employment at local dance studios.
4. Recreational dancers will develop an appreciation for the rigors involved with learning a dance form, both physically and emotionally.
Interested in becomming a Dance Major? Interested in a Dance Certificate? Make sure to make an appointment to speak with the Dance Coordinator about your dance schedule by emailing Casandra Hillman firstname.lastname@example.org.